Friday, January 23, 2009

The Morning Started Scary...

So when I woke up this morning and checked the futures and found ES sitting at 800, I was more than a little surprised. Fortunately, I was in at 804, so although my profit was gone, my loss was still little. I thought I would give it 10 min and see what kind of strength we could pull off the opening. I closed out my longs around 811, went short around 815 and then closed those out around 810 when the move down lost steam. I put my longs on again with a stop at 807. Looks like I never had to use them the rest of the day!

After the day was over I relooked at the chart. A few things popped out at me, that I'll show you in these charts.

This is a 15min chart showing that my previous wave 4 label was a bit premature. This labeling actually works better because it gives us some nice alternation between waves 2 & 4, which is common: w2 was a zigzag and w4 a triangle. The other thing is that triangles are ending patterns and are recognized by their extreme moves after they finish in both directions. Once the w5 thrust finishes, the trend promptly reverses. We have all of those characteristics here.


This next chart is just bigger picture view showing that we should see significant strength early next week.

This is a daily chart. We have a similar pattern showing up here that also supports our thesis. As it happened in early December when the bears tried like crazy and couldn't get it price to break the key level. The bulls finally wore the bears out and got a nice little rally off of it. Of course the bears won out once they rested, as they will here. Let's just say the next time we visit ES 800 it won't be pretty.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Rich.
    Thanks for the blog. Do you still see a small rally to 870-890 and then a hard down?

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. JT,

    My short answer is yes. I still have all my triggers starting at ES 880. My profit targets for my current longs are sitting at the major resistance area near ES 853. We likely end wave 'A' there, come down for a pullback in 'B', and then break through it, close the gap, and rush the high targets. However, the market has been SO weak lately, that there are no guarantees we break 853. All I can say is watch this one closely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rich,


    I am a newbie to EW analysis and just read Elliot Wave Principle and was wondering if you recommend any other books on the subject?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pedram,

    Well, the only other book on the subject that I've read is Conquer the Crash, which isn't on EWT per se but uses EWT to forecast the coming crash. What I had to do after I learned EWT was figure out a way to put it into practice, so I could actually make money. After all, EWT is not a system, but can certainly be a major part of the foundation of a system. I use two technical indicators to help me 'count' waves. The 8 period MA (generally a close above it starts a new wave), and the RSI(5) (waves start and end in the extremes). After that, it takes experience looking at the patterns over and over. It is important to realize that the patterns you see are only probabilities and not absolutes. Stops are still important. Believe me, I've lost a lot of money thinking they were absolutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for keeping the count. It feels good to check your blog and see that you have the same count as me. How long have you been using the Ellott Wave?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bob, glad I could help. I've been working with EW for about 1.5 yrs now. I still have lots to learn and experience w/ practical application of EWT , but posting and sharing has been great.

    ReplyDelete